Thursday 9 January 2014

Minerva Bloggers Network - Kwik Sew Biker Jacket

Do you ever find it hard to see past the styling on a pattern envelope? Sometimes I find it so distracting that I have to resort to my own impromptu cropping so that I can focus on the designs:

This looks like I'm some sort of woman-hater who chops off their heads in pictures...



I know that Kwik Sew is a business, and they have to cater to the broadest range of tastes in order to reach the most customers, and that patterns stay in circulation for a long time, therefore they have to avoid looking dated. But they've managed to bland-out this design to the point of it almost not existing - you can hardly even see view B because it fades into the background! 

Despite this I managed to see through the (non) styling to the classic biker-style jacket. For inspiration, I was thinking along the lines of these images, a million miles away from the Kwik Sew envelope:

Classic Clash - (source)


Lewis Leathers - trading in London since 1892 (source)
This was my 3rd project for the lovely Minerva Bloggers Network (3 already - time flies!) I chose a blue cotton drill, some leopard fleece lining, and 3 zips, and here's what I came up with:



I chose view A, but without the front pockets, mainly because welts and exposed zips are something I'm a bit scared of, so I chose to avoid them on the front in case they went horribly wrong. But I did put them on the sleeves at the cuffs, and I'm so pleased with how they came out!:


It's been a long time since I pushed myself to try a new technique in the world of sewing, and I'm so glad I did. Huge respect to whoever wrote the pattern instructions, because they were extremely easy to follow. It involved sewing a small interfaced strip to the right side of the sleeve, clipping and turning it to the wrong side, then placing it over your zip and top stitching:



The design was quite detailed - it even included the little triangles that go behind the zips, like a real leather jacket!

Some more details:


Epaulettes on the shoulders
Double breasted zip closure and collar
You see a sneaky glimpse above of how the leopard fabric came in to play. The pattern doesn't call for lining; they just suggest you 'finish the seams'. I decided to add a lining to give the jacket more weight and to make it warmer. I just used the side front pieces and the sleeves exactly as they were, and cut the back minus the facing and with an extra 1/2" at the centre back to create a pleat. Here's the result:



I admit I'm a bit of a snob about certain fabrics, and fleece is something I've managed to avoid in my own wardrobe. I've worked with it before in items made for Mr Needles, like his Margiela-inspired jacket. But this is the first time I've used it and worn it - it's so cosy, I can see why people swathe themselves in it. And it adds just the right amount of weight to the jacket that I can probably wear it on the cold grey days we're currently experiencing here in London.



And that's that! if you like the look of this project, get yourself over to Minerva, where you can order the whole kit.

See you soon!

14 comments:

  1. I love this!! You're a genius to spot the potential in the pattern. Did you make any fit changes? Brilliant idea to use the cotton drill, it looks so good, especially with the leopard print. Think this is my favourite minerva blogging make so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! No fit changes, but as usual you gace to deal with modern 'vanity'sizing. I cut a size small even though I'm a 36 bust.

      Delete
  2. This is so great, Nicole! And so original. I haven't seen anything like this in the blogosphere. I love the idea of fleecy linings as I feel the cold and most coats in the shops are single layer of wool felt and a single layer of lining - this is not southern california, I need warmth!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I would steal it from your wardrobe in a heart beat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love saving fugly looking patterns and looks like you do too. Brilliant work!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are so cool nicole! great work. i have been thinking of a biker jacket and fleece lining is inspired! you have to add to the jungle january flickr! lewis leathers is right behind my work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my dream to waltz in there and casually buy a jacket. But sadly I don't have a spare £ 700. I'll keep dreaming...

      Delete
  6. Amazing! I absolutely love the lining and you've done an amazing job on those zips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hats off to your sewing skills! I love a bit of leopard print too...Totally agree with you about those cheesy photos, even modern knitting patterns seem to go down the same route. Bleurgh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowsers! That's fantastic! I love the zips and the lining.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That colour totally pops on you, lady! Good bit of getting past the naff styling and instead, rocking a hot look x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pattern photos are why I always prefer the technical drawings. Well done for spotting the potential! Loving the blue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous and scheduled to be featured on SSB tomorrow. https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees ❀

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!