I've had this pattern for ages, and while I always loved it, I never really felt I had the right look for it until now. According to the Vintage Pattern Wiki, it's from 1951 - it definitely has that haughty, Parisienne fashion look about it from that time:
|Simplicity 8424, 1951|
The finished dress has a feel of something a no-good dame from a film noir would wear. Or if you're familiar with the work of artist Ryan Heshka, it kinda has the pointy-boob, big hip thing going on that one of his scary women would wear:
|Mean Girls Club - Ryan Heshka|
As you can see, I decided to pursue the film noir theme to its logical conclusion and take some shadowy photos in my new back yard.
Apologies for the wrinkly look in the photos - there's something about this fabric that just resists all ironing. I've tried steam, heat, spray starch, alone and in combination - it just doesn't want to know. Hence the crinkly lapped seam in this photo:
But it's still a great dress to wear. I particularly love the pockets, which sit away from the body and make your waist look smaller:
|Close-up of pocket|
The buttons at the neck are covered in the same fabric as the dress:
I reinforced the base of the button facings and the pocket seams with embroidered arrowheads:
|It's hard to see, being black on black, but there's an arrowhead on the left!|
The only fitting adjustment I made was adding some extra room in the bust; other than that it all went together pretty well.
This dress is surprisingly comfortable to wear; I might even make another one, if I ever get my sewing things unpacked... Anyway, it's great to be back on the Blog-wagon - see you soon!