Let's start with the skirt - it's basically the same design as the one I used for my December Minerva project, which involved taking a piece from Burda 122 and sticking it on to the back of a self drafted pencil skirt:
|Apologies for creasing...|
|Close up of back frill|
Here's some details-
As with the previous version, I avoided side seams by overlapping the front and back pieces at the side and cutting it all as one, with just a centre back seam. As if by some miracle, the pattern matched up nearly perfectly at the back seam:
|Almost perfect matching - take that cats!|
I put in a hand picked zip, and finished off the waistband with a little black button from my stash:
The skirt is fully lined, with the hem finished with bias made from the lining:
|Lining where the frill meets the skirt|
|Detail of the hem|
|It started raining about 30 mins after this photo was taken!|
Now the sweater-
I love knitting, but I'm less experienced with it as compared to sewing, and I'm often less than pleased with the results. So I stick to socks and scarves, and little things that don't require much fitting.
But this pattern, from a 1960's 'Woman and Home' booklet caught my eye as something I could actually do well:
I used a 4ply wool and polyester mix by Drops, which I ordered from Loveknitting (It's only £1.50 per ball!) And even though I consider it an 'ugly' colour, I chose mustard because it seemed era-appropriate and I secretly really like it. The only drawback is that the wool is a little itchy, but after washing it seems to be softening up.
The whole jumper is knitted in plain stocking stitch, and other than shaping and a little bit of detail at the hems it was pretty boring to knit.
Here it is:
I think it's pretty close to the original!
|Close up of hem|
|Inside view of the hem turned up|
It's just a long strip with pointed ends that's sewn around the neck and threaded through a little knitted loop on the left.
And that's pretty much it - see you soon!