A while ago I made the pattern above out of some red polyester twill:
I really liked the way it turned out, so much so that I decided to make a second version. The polyester was great, but nowhere near heavy enough to keep me warm. A little while ago I found some heavy wool crepe at an RSPCA charity shop - perfect for this pattern. Plus I had the big Spring Blogger Meet-Up to attend and I'm one of those people who likes to have something new to wear for occasions, so what better excuse!
And here it is:
The fabric was thick - thickest fabric I've probably ever worked with. Turning corners, enclosing seams,etc, involved trimming, steaming, pressing, more trimming, more pressing, and so on until I had a reasonable finish.
|Detail of collar edge, graded and clipped|
|Bias strip laid inside hemallowance, and caught with long running stitches along the hemline, and herringbone stitch around the top edge.|
- with a large press stud sewn underneath:
|Sneaky press stud!|
|Sewing the frogs on by hand|
The jacket is definitely warm enough for the crisp spring sunshine we're experiencing now. I didn't get many photos on the day, but here's that swingy back in action while I chat with Kathryn of Yes, I Like That :
See you soon!