I present Butterick 5747 from 1960:
The fabric is a lovely black crisp cotton sprinkled with off-white stars and dots. The style and fabric isn't obviously nautical, but I added some Russian braid to the collar to give it a sea-sidey feel:
Since the neck is wide and on the bias, there's always the possibility it will stretch out. The best solution is to reinforce it with tape; I improvised by cutting strips from the selvedge of the fabric and sewing them in to the neck seam:
|Improvised tape, sewn into the seam|
I also altered the insert at the front - the original size sat right up on my collar bone; I lowered it by about 2".
|I swear it normally sits flat - I don't know where that crease came from|
|The neck insert on its own - it attaches with buttons and press studs to the inside facing|
The hem is finished with bias tape and machine stitched:
There's a lapped split at the back of the pencil skirt, and I finished this with an arrowhead at the top to keep it from splitting open:
There's no zip in this dress, instead it opens and closes with buttons along the front. There's also a belt, which I'm not sure the dress really needs, but I added it anyway:
And here's a back view:
I'm also making this part of Marie's Vintage Pattern Pledge, so look out for me on her Pinterest site!
See you soon!