Thursday 13 November 2014

Minerva Bloggers Network - Animal Print's a Basic, Isn't it?

Hello! After a month off, I'm back with Minerva - I've missed it! I've decided to start off with something completely different for me - a batwing jersey dress, made from stretch fabric. The main reason for such a departure was to get to grips with my new  Singer overlocker, which I bought for the bargain price of £129 from Lidl. (For non-European readers, Lidl is a chain of bargain supermarkets from Germany, who also have themed offers once a week - anything from garden furniture, to tools, or even toys).

My new overlocker!


For the pattern, I used this brilliant tutorial from Mollytov - go check it out, because it's so easy! 

Mollytov.com
I pretty much copied all the measurements outright; the only changes I made were to the length of the skirt, which I just added a couple of inches to.

And for this foray into jersey I decided to use this stunner from Minerva :

Black and gold snake print jersey from Minerva
This fabric is out of this world! What you can't really see in the photo is the extra layer of sheen on top of the print that gives the fabric a life of it's own. I love, love, LOVE animal print, to the point where I consider it a basic. It isn't really apparent on this blog, but I have leopard skirts, jackets, dresses, tights, and even underwear. So I thought it was about time I introduced a bit of animal! 

And here it is:






I've been sewing for 30+ years, but I've managed to avoid jersey and overlocking all this time, except for the odd project here and there. Despite endless testing and fiddling, I'm still not sure I really know what I'm doing with the stitches and the tension, but as a first project it's not bad. 

Close up of the overlocked seam I used - is this right?

Close up of neckline
And of course I couldn't resist the pulling a few disco moves in this outfit:



 And that's it! If you like what you see, be sure you check out Minerva's website.

See you soon!



4 comments:

  1. I must admit, the pattern illustration did not convince me. But your brilliant fabrication changed my mind. I love the way you placed the darker variations in the print! I am deathly afraid of knits, so much so that the dust cover has never been removed from the overlock machine that was gifted to me. Maybe learning how to use it will be my New Year's resolution. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great first make on your OL :-)

    I've pinned a gazillion links/tutorials on using Overlockers to my board here if they're of any use to you? https://www.pinterest.com/clairesews/sewing-sergers-overlockers-tutorials-tips/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dress! I was recently given an overlocker and I'm not really sure what I'm doing either - that damn tension is so hard to get right. You did a great job though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brill! I agree with Mr Tiny, you've transformed this from the line drawing into a stomper of a dress! Plus that seam looks pretty good to me

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!