In a bid to start, I dug out some lovely tartan wool from Abakhans, which I've had for at least 5 years:
I considered a skirt at first, but I really wanted a cape or jacket or something along those lines. This was partly inspired by the cape I made for Mr Needles which I drafted myself. It was so easy, I decided to give it a go.
I started by making a muslin which looked like this:
I made a few adjustments to the shoulder shape, the length, added a hood pattern and drafted facings, then started cutting out. I quickly realized that the fabric wasn't going to be heavy enough on its own, so I decided to interline it with some black cotton sheeting. In order to keep it in place while I was working with it, I tacked the cotton pieces to the outer fabric along the lines of the tartan, as you'll see below. The tacking was then removed once the pieces were all sewn together:
|Wrong side of hood piece with interlining and tacking|
|Right side of hood piece with tacking|
I like my projects, especially coats and jackets, to have weight to them; once I machined it all together, it still didn't feel quite weighty enough. I decided to abandon my original lining, a shiny poly, and considered other heavier options, like quilting. I couldn't find any I liked; then after a stroll along Walthamstow market I happened on some black fleece - problem solved!
And here it is all finished up!:
I only had 2 metres of the tartan; if I'm honest, 2.5 or 3m would have been ideal to match all of the seams. But I just decided that some seams would match, some would 'half-match', and others wouldn't match at all. And you can always cut some bits on the bias and thus avoid matching altogether!
There's no back seam, so no matching needed there!
And the hood, which was cut on the bias, got extra attention on the seam:
But the side seam got what I call 'half-matching' - I matched the horizontal lines, but not exactly to the right parts of the tartan - you'll see what I mean below:
|Close up of the side seam - sort of matched...|
|Not really matched shoulders. Oh well...|
Here's a picture of the linings and facings. The fleece was such a good choice - despite the big drafty sleeves, the jacket is really warm!:
One last thing - I love the simple silhouette of the jacket/cape, but it does have a rather limiting effect on the movement of your arms. Reaching up high for anything does mean the whole jacket lifts up with your arms; not a big problem, but for that reason I stopped the buttons at the waist:
And I think that's it. I leave you with a picture of me looking rather goofy with the hood up:
See you soon!
Jacket - homemade, tartan wool from Abakhan, fleece lining from Walthamstow market
Jeans - Freddies of Pinewood
Shoes - Dries Van Noten
Gloves - knitted by me!
Brooches - Russian Dolls from Budapest, Spanish Galleon from charity shop