Saturday 12 April 2014

A Shirt Fit For a Taco Warrior

A while a go I made this shirt for Mr Needles, which we've named 'The Yoko', after the name found on the selvedge of the fabric: 

He really, REALLY loves this shirt...

Like many seamstresses, I'm never 100% happy with my work, and this is no exception. The arms are a bit snug on him, and I wanted another go at this style to get it right. Then I saw this fabric while pottering around on-line:

'Loteria' by Robert Kaufman
Unlike myself - I'm all about the science - Mr Needles loves tarot, numerology, reading about spells and all things mystical, so I figured this Mexican Lottery print fabric would be perfect for him. I ordered a couple of meters from the lovely people at Fondant Fabrics - great, speedy service! - and got sewing.

A whole shirt in this pattern was going to be a bit too much, so like the Yoko shirt, I decided to break it up with the some solid black on the collar, sleeve cuffs, yoke and pocket. After a few adjustments to the arm scye and sleeve, I got sewing, and here it is:



I finished it just in time for Mr Needles to wear it to Taco Wars a few weekends ago where we sampled 8 amazing tacos, quaffed a few margaritas and tequilas, and voted for the best taco:


Taco War voting card
Good eatin'

Here's a few details:

The collar, yoke and the pocket were in plain black cotton:

Breast pocket

Collar

Yoke
For the sides and arms, I used run and fell seams for strength and neatness:

Run and fell side seam and split at hem

Inside run and fell seam
And that's it! I'll leave you with a picture of Mr Needles hard at work, trying to beat the tacos:


See you soon!

7 comments:

  1. I love a fun fabric and yours is great. The shirt really turned out and the use of the black for the cuffs, pocket, yoke and collar details makes this a great sew! But he is a little scary with those knives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha loving the first pic! This new shirt is rad. Hope your Mr thanked you lots for it. Mmmm taco war sounds delish

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fab shirt! I LOVE the fabric so much; and off I go to click on the fabric link (I'm already picturing a dress in my head)... ;) Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  4. What awesome fabric - he is a lucky man :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That fabric is as fun as your man, haha. Love the first picture! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's shirt is a taco winner! And I'm off too to search out that fabric as I'm having a bit of a skirt sewing moment and that looks just my type of pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know - he nearly didn't get a shirt, I was so close to keeping it for myself!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!