Sunday 12 September 2010

Sober work skirt, with a surprise! - Part 2

After much slaving over a hot sewing machine, here is the finished product -
'Miss Needles, take a letter'
So let me take you through the rest of the process......

September 2nd -
I finished the seams, ironed them all in place

September 3rd -
I sew the zip in by hand. I chose a nifty red, to add a flash of colour and to match my shiny red lining. I also completed the pockets, which look great!
I cut out the lining and sew the seams. Here's a picture of me ironing it all, looking my least glamourous with pincurls and no make-up!
September 4th -
I sew the pockets onto the skirt and place some vintage buttons I found in a junk shop on to the flaps -

e
Pocket placed on skirt
Next, the lining is placed inside and sewn over the zip. I sew the waistband together, then pin it to the skirt and sew it in place.

September 6th -
I try on the skirt - lookin' good! I have a special facing for the hem, which I pin in place and then sew. 

September 10th - 
Spend what seems like hours sewing the hem in place. I quickly sew the lining hem, and then the final touch - 2 hooks on the waistband.


So, here's the surprise - 

Remember the Union Jack fabric you saw in part 1? Well, this is what I did with it! As I said, I have to be all sober and grown up for work, but it gives me a little kick to know I've got all sorts of colour and what-not going on underneath. I also lined the pockets with it.

Hem detail - close up
I wore the skirt for the first time today, and had several comments on it, even more when they saw the hem!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Love the hem facing and your cute shirt too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the hem.your always so cute and such creativity.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!