Thursday 2 May 2013

What Would Joan Do?

If you're at all interested in sewing or blogs, you can't have missed the many posts about the big meet up that happened in London a few weekes ago. Those of us who went have been on a needlework high of love and sisterhood, and some great friendships have formed - I'm looking at you Clare of Sew Dixie Lou, Janene Ooobop, Joanne Sew Little Time, Emma of My Oh Sew Vintage Life, Sew Busy Lizzy, and Hannah Sinbad and Sailor. Meanwhile, Mr Needles still can't quite understand what it's all about and thinks I've joined a crazy cult of sewers.

And you know what crazy sewers love? Joan Collins and Dolly Parton, of course. I mean, who doesn't love these ladies? They break all the rules of fashion:

Legs?

Or cleavage? Why not both!

They don't know the meaning of casual:

Dolly doing a spot of farming

THIS is how you wear denim!
 And too much is never enough:

I love how Dolly's hair struggles to fit in the shot.

Joan, just chillin' out at home
With this wealth of inspiration to work with, Clare at Sew Dixie Lou has launched a Dolly and Joan sew along. (Go read her post because its hilarious!) There aren't really any rules, other than no half measures allowed. There should be frills, sequins, fringing, satin, lame, beading, netting - hopefully all on the same outfit.

I've decided to start off with a Joan-inspired piece - a gold lame pencil skirt made with fabric left over from my wedding dress. (One thing I've realised is that this is going to be really easy for me - I seem to have a very Joan and Dolly based wardobe without even realising it!). I whipped this up on my day off, using McCalls 9722. Then I cracked out the blusher, put on my biggest earrings, and decided to try it out doing a bit of light housework:

Doing the washing:



Bringing some glamour to cleaning the bathroom:


Some light dusting:


Time for lunch:


I even did a spot of knitting:


It was like living a little bit of Joan's life for one day - if she did housework and lived in a one bedroom apartment.

So be warned, this is just the first in a series of shiny, sparkly, fringey Joan and Dolly inspired outfits.

See you soon!

13 comments:

  1. Haha, love your photo shoot Nicole! That skirt is actually amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is too funny.
    =D =D =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much fun concentrated in one post! You are great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol. those pictures are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You couldn't ask for better inspiration than that. "It takes a lot of money to look this cheap."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your photo shoot, you make housework look so glam! The skirt looks fabulous on you x

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I love this. The dusting shot is epic! I can't wait for us to get going on this. I think we should hunt Joan down and beg her to judge the final outfits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! We could even get Jackie involved - just yesterday there was a news article about how she wears her jackets only once, and has hundreds in storage. How fabulous!

      Delete
  8. hahaha. i love the idea of joan doing housework in huge sunnies and a spangly skirt! amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the gold lame skirt! I may need to whip one up in silver! And the animal print Dolly is wearing? Super fab! I am definitely planning on join you all for this Dolly/ Joan Sew-A-Long... It is going to be FUN...~Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am back again! Just to tell you I nominated your blog for this thing called the Liebster Award because it's so fabulous and the whole world should be reading it. Go to my blog to find out what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoops, in echo of Clare's comment above, so have I !

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!