Friday 21 February 2014

BANG! The Pop Art Pencil Skirt

I've had this fantastic fabric burning a hole in my stash for some time, and the other night I finally got round doing something with it. It was a very generous gift from my friend Catherine, who spotted it in a window in a fabric shop in Bath (I think...):


I'd toyed with the idea of a full skirt, but I thought it would obscure the print, then I thought maybe a jacket, but I knew I'd hardly ever wear it. I settled on a pencil skirt. Here it is:



I used Sew Vera Venus' skirt drafting tutorial, which is really easy to follow - go check it out! And in order not to interrupt that fab pattern, I overlapped the side seams and treated the top curve as a dart, so there was only one seam at the back:


I also added a lapped split at the back:


Note to self: be more careful when placing the patterns in the future so as to avoid phrases like 'Look at me!!' appearing in the middle of your bottom.

The top of the split is finished off with a red arrowhead:


I was so pleased with the way the exposed zip turned out on my Kwik Sew Jacket that I decided to use that technique again on the zip for this skirt to show off the red zip I used:


And to finish it all, I added a light poly lining attached at the waist and hand sewn around the split:


Now I just have to find a suitable event to wear this skirt to - maybe cocktails with the Spoolettes?



See you soon!

13 comments:

  1. Fabulous skirt and I love the speech bubble placement. My kind of print, and you are rocking the look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great fitting skirt and the fabric is amazing. And what a great idea getting rid of the side seam. I will be using that when I make a skirt from my printed Moygashel linen with big crazy 50s print on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic garment choice for featuring this fabric! your phase/fabric placement blunder has me cracking up. What were the chances of that? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fabric is priceless, and makes a perfect skirt. So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is fabulous! I remember similar artwork lining the corridors of the art department when I was at school. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the skirt Nicole, the fabric is great! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sensational skirt. That print is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I love it! I've seen this fabric before and thought how awesome it would be in a skirt. Its perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous! And, you know everybody will be looking at you anyway, even without the helpful speech bubble, heh heh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really love this Nicole, even more so in the flesh ;) A pencil skirt was definitely an excellent choice for this print and I love all your extra touches like the exposed zip and arrowhead!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this skirt so much!! The fabric is fab-u-lous! I like how it's drafted with no side seam; that's very clever, I haven't seen that before. Also loving the zip and the arrow head - that is a great idea, and one I may copy on my pencil skirt which hardly gets worn because the back seam keeps ripping...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!